As one stage of an actor’s world ends, the next begins. This post was written right after episode 9 was filmed, but we couldn’t share it until after episode 9 aired. So here’s a little background for you — this was written in Mid to late May.
This last week has been pretty eventful. In true Bex form, things have not gone exactly as planned. Let’s see…
- Thursday Bex got a call from Director Jonathan Demme (of “Silence of the Lambs” fame) who was disappointed to learn that Bex would not be in the episode he was filming for The Killing (ep 9). (Here’s how it works: a “series regular” role means that the contract guarantees a minimum number of episodes – generally 7; beyond those it is discretionary.)
- Friday night, Bex went to her last night of filming episode 8 — call was at 10 p.m., and they wrapped at 4:00 a.m. There was a beautiful bouquet of flowers in her dressing room from Veena. A fitting close to an extraordinary adventure. Or was it?
- Tuesday, Bex went to set for the read through for the next episode. Apparently, Demme wants her in it, and there are discussions happening.
- Wednesday, Bex spends the day on set because it’s just better than being anywhere else!
- Thursday and Friday? I guess we’re all going to have to wait to see what kind of magic wand Demme has! Looks like it was quite a wand — Bex was fitted for “dead” contact lenses, and spent 2 hours in that trunk. In the end, they only used two scenes, but Demme did an amazing job, and it was a perfect closing experience for Bex on the set of The Killing.
Suffice it to say, life is not dull for Bex these days. May 20 is the cast and crew screening and party, and Bex will head back to LA for her graduation by May 23!
This chapter’s almost over, folk! The auditions are just beginning.
The work of acting happens between gigs — auditions, self-tapes, interviews — while the play happens when they’re on the job. At least, that’s what it seems to be like for Bex. When she’s working — on set — she’s having the time of her life. Now that things are settling down and we’re starting to think about what’s next, it’s starting to feel a little like work, again.
But not too much!
As Bex’s agent says, it seems to be “Bex Season” in audition-land. She’s already taped one audition for a pilot, and another 2 are in the works. Bex is trying to get her head back in the “comedic space,” jumping right back into audition work as if it were yesterday.
NOTE: Special Late Edition:
- Thursday and Friday — Bex is in Episode 9! Don’t ask — Demme magic happens.
- Thursday — Interviews begin with a reporter from the Atlanta Journal/Constitution.
- Thursday — network wants to tape some 1 minute promo videos, so it looks like Bex is going back to LA for her graduation, and then returning to Vancouver for a little more fun (without the) sun!
That is all for now!